Class A or B CDL Concrete Mixer Truck Driver
Buckeye Ready-Mix is the leading producer of ready mix concrete in the Central Ohio area. We have opportunities in Columbus, Lockbourne, and West Jefferson. We service more than 20 Ohio counties with 150 hard-working and dedicated employees. Buckeye Ready-Mix continually seeks good drivers who have a long-term career goal in mind.
We offer training in the manufacture and delivery of quality concrete. We teach the concepts of concrete construction, the importance of quality control and the value of our number one salesman, our delivery driver.
Buckeye Ready-Mix offers competitive wages with a guaranteed work week, excellent health, dental and life insurance programs, paid vacation, paid holidays, uniforms, and a 401(k) retirement plan with profit sharing.
We're also offering a $500 new hire bonus!
As a driver we expect you to have:
• Some professional driving experience, with mixer truck or other Class B operations preferred (dump truck, refuse truck, etc.).
You will be responsible for delivering ready-mixed concrete to residential and commercial construction projects and road construction sites within specific time windows as established by the customer and by the truck dispatcher.
• Valid Class A or Class B Commercial Driver’s License
• Department of Transportation Physical Exam certification
• Must maintain a safe driving record and have the ability to attend work regularly and on time.
• Climbing: Position requires sufficient agility and strength to frequently climb steps for an approximate cab entry height of 4+ feet high. Also frequently grips and climbs a ladder 8 to 10 feet to inspect his/her load and to wash down the truck. The lowest ladder step approximately 2 feet from the ground.
• Lifting and Carrying: To off-load concrete, the driver positions a primary chute which is permanently attached to the truck. Moving the primary chute is similar to pushing a heavy door. The driver also attaches one or more extension chutes. The first extension chute weighs approximately 50 lbs., and the second approximately 40 lbs. Extension chutes are stored on the side of the truck. The driver carries one or both extension chutes to the back of the truck and attaches to the primary chute. Sometimes required to lift and carry up to 50 pounds of liquid additives up the ladder.
• Daily routine: After delivery of each load, the driver washes out the truck and chutes with a hose. Also assists contractors with clean-up of tools. Driver then returns to a mix plant for another load. The driver repeats this routine until he/she is released from duty for the day. The driver will deliver 3 to 8 loads of concrete during a normal workday. A typical workday during the busy season (March to November) is 12 to 16 hours, and up to 70 hours per week. The amount of time driving, sitting, climbing, bending and lifting in the truck varies by the load and type of construction project.
• Driving: The mixer truck is a heavy vehicle and provides a stiff, bouncing ride. Driver frequently operates radio, shifts gears, and manipulates other hand and foot controls. He/She drives the load to the job site, with one-way travel frequently ½ hour or less, infrequently up to one hour. Duty hours vary, up to 16 hours per day.
• Strength: Generally, the mixer driver position is classified as “medium work” that involves exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently.
• Environmental: Exposure to outside atmospheric conditions, contact with water and other liquids, moderate to loud noise intensity, exposure to vibration and close proximity to moving mechanical parts.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.